On this week’s show we’re going to try something different. We’ll have a discussion between an atheist and a Christian about the current state of morality in this country. Is the decline of religion really leading to a loss of moral values, as the Religious Right claims? Is America going to hell in a handbasket? Join us for what promises to be a lively debate between August Berkshire, past president of Minnesota Atheists, and Robert Dull of The Pearlygate Network.
ARE AMERICA'S MORALS DECLINING? - YES
ARE AMERICA'S MORALS DECLINING? - NO
- United States Crime Rates 1960-2007 [Note: Violent crime begins to decrease in 1992, 19 years after “Roe v. Wade”]
THE RISE OF THE NONRELIGIOUS
HOW MORAL ARE CHRISTIANS?
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?
- Mirroring People: The New Science of How We Connect with Others - by Marco Iacoboni
- On Being Moved: From Mirror Neurons to Empathy - edited by Stein Braten
- Mirrors in the Brain: How Our Minds Share Actions, Emotions, and Experience - by Giacomo Rizzolatti, Corrado Sinigaglia, and Frances Anderson
- Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved (Princeton Science Library) - by Frans de Waal, edited by Stephen Macedo and Josiah Ober
- Good Natured: The Origins of Right and Wrong in Humans and Other Animals - by Frans B. M. de Waal
- Moral Minds: How Nature designed a Universal Sense of Right and Wrong - by Marc D. Hauser
- The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Car, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule - by Michael Shermer
- The Evolution of Morality - by Richard Joyce
- The Ethical Brain - by Michael Gazzaniga